This is the home of Hang Gliding & Paragliding in Hawkes Bay!
We are a small group of Hang Gliding and paragliding enthusiasts.
Sites around Hawkes Bay include gentle coastal soaring to more
extreme summer thermalling.
If you are a visiting flyer to Hawkes Bay please contact one of our members
before you fly.
If you have any old photos, logos, records or history of the Hawkes Bay Hang Gliding & Paragliding club. Please let me know as I would love to add details to this site..
Thanks. – Tim Whittaker
We are mostly based in Hawkes Bay, New Zealand but sites all over the country draw us to fly.
IMPORTANT UPDATE FOR OCEAN BEACH.
The launch & landing site for the Ocean Beach area at present are a NO FLY ZONE until further notice.
Please refrain from flying at this site UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE.
It is one of the busiest times of the year for beach / camping areas and discussions are underway with the owner & manager of the launch site land to ensure continued use of this site.
Do not jeopardise future access to this site. Please respect the owners request and DO NOT LAUNCH, FLY OR LAND at this site.
An update will be posted here and on the Hawkes Bay Hang gliding and Paragliding Facebook page
With the constant sea breezes streaming in lately Te Mata Peak has shown some wonderful evening soaring.
- Getting the tower to let us fly from Flat Rock – hasn’t been a problem in the past. The second option is to fly from Waipatiki.
- The limited access points for retrieval if it all turns pear shaped: Aroapauanui, Waikare, Mohaka, Wairoa. Ask Euan about landing short of Waikare and the ensuing adventure 🙂
- Several gaps and low areas that have to be thought about a bit before crossing
- Only one PG has made it across the Mohaka to lift on the Northern side to my knowledge, Grant Middendorf. I have flown across and landed then walked up to relaunch and continue several times.
- There is limited cell phone coverage for any retrieve drivers on the road up there.
- It would be well worthwhile throwing a torch and some form of navigation aid (map) in along with a bit of extra tucker if you are thinking of coming along.
Feel free to forward this on to anyone you think might be interested in this sort of outing.